Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Communication is Key

I’m really into people watching. I like observing the different behaviors people have whether if it is repetition, odd quirks, or commonalities between people. I get to see about 180 people every Tuesday morning by working for Good Morning Commuters which is a lot of observing for me to do when I’m not serving food. I know personally, I’m always concerned on getting to Point B from Point A, but I’m never paying attention to anything but my phone when getting to Point B. I’m on my phone checking e-mails or texting co-workers about an event when I’m in that transition from Point A to Point B.

The other Tuesday at GMC, I went to a table with two girls who did not know each other and were on their phones. I just asked them general questions such as what their names were, what year they are, what their major in. They were both are into Psychology and started talking about internships they both had and realized they both had the same experiences in different offices. Since that one GMC early in the semester, I have seen those two sitting at a table and eating breakfast together every Tuesday.

We’re in the midst of an age where people are on their phones talking to people instead of getting together in person to talk to each other. We’re on our phones constantly, we’re not paying attention to our surroundings, and we’re not taking the time to realize where we are in our lives and take it all in.

Next time you’re walking from one class to another or from your car to your class, make sure you stop and smell the roses (or feed the squirrels...or don't) and say hi to a friend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment