Wednesday, December 3, 2014

My last blog

Hi everyone! As always, I hope you have had a wonderful semester. I cannot believe that we are at the end of the semester already. It seems like only yesterday that we started the semester and now it is almost over.

Today, I am writing my last blog as an employee of Off-Campus Student Services, as well as a UMBC student. I am graduating December 18th and I will be continuing my education at Loyola University Maryland. I am super excited, yet anxious at the same time. However, I know that UMBC has prepared me for my future endeavors.

Although I am graduating, I want to give you some tips to succeed at UMBC:

1. Talk to your professors and actually attend their office hours.

Because I attended office hours, one of my papers went from a 85% to a 90% because I talked to my teacher and explained my ideas. She had said that the TA looked over the papers. When I visited her, she reread over my paper and I explained my point of view. She changed my grade because she understood where I was coming from. This would have been difficult if I had talked to her in the beginning or at the end of class. Thus, it is important to visit your professors' office hours. They have them for a reason and not enough students utilize these opportunities for success. Thus, I would suggest attending office hours and getting the help you may need.

2. Obtain an on-campus job or join extracurricular activities/clubs.

Working at OCSS was a wonderful opportunity to gain work experience, meet new people, and have fun. I have truly enjoyed working at OCSS and getting to meet new peers, friends, and connections. If I had not worked for OCSS, I feel like my time spent at UMBC would have been totally different. If you have the opportunity to do so, find on-campus job. Many departments are flexible with your school schedule and they understand your main priority is to attend school. It is also a wonderful way just to gain transferable skills that can help you in future employment. Additionally, joining clubs can help you gain new connections and meet people.

3. Lastly, have fun.

School is very important to me and I have worked extremely hard the past year and a half I have been at UMBC. I took both winter and summer classes, along with attending school full-time during the spring and fall semesters. Although we all want to succeed, it is important to take some time and relax or have fun. It is important not to stress out all the time. Take some time for yourself and do something fun. Personally, I feel that sometimes I had compromised having fun in order to succeed. There should be a balance between the two. So, at your time at UMBC, take some time to do something you enjoy. But always remember the reason why you are at UMBC. :)

I have truly enjoyed being apart of the UMBC community and I wish you all continued success now and in the future.

(Photo taken from Flickr C.C. 2.0 under username George)

No comments:

Post a Comment