Thursday, October 23, 2014

Ants Marching

Take an hour out of your week and reflect. Do it!
*Remember your end goals for school...
    -Have you incorporated these hopes with the current curriculum?

I have been swamped with school, utilizing the programmable coffee maker set 4 hours from the moment I am hitting the sheets.  However, it is ok to deviate from personal dreams,  in fact it's often required of students to earn the A's.  I have yet to meet someone that knows everything.  That said, who am I to say that one subject has nothing to do with my aspirations?  I don't. So I want to keep my options viable and strive for excellence in each and every class. One long-term goal for every student should be to get a job. Remember that employers take GPA seriously, and so I should too!  

      Check this awesome app that tells you when to set your alarm: http://sleepyti.me/
                                                                                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^
                     -this website tells you the time to set your alarm so that you don't wake up groggy!


This table should help you understand where the times provided by the app are coming from.

(Photo taken from http://www.quantadynamics.com/research/performancerem.htm)

Synopsis of my personal reflection:
My personal reflection identified that I feel like an ant, marching to the beat of academia.  The struggle is real, and IT IS OK to be fragile, but in the tussles, I needed to recollect WHY I was committing every waking moment to my classes. (See above) I needed motivation, and I needed it then and there to finalize a project, paper, or the study session.  Motivation is pivotal for every college student, and is sourced from the battle between the id and the ego. My id requires me to sleep, while my ego says to finish the work regardless of the state of my current happiness.  A great way to satisfy the inner id is to attend the weekly transfer student network workshops.  Food, socializing, and pertinent information about student life are all bundled up in one hour to maximize time(a must when under the pressure of deadlines).  Keep the id happy and let the ego prevail!


A few pictures of yesterdays(10/22/2014) TSN event:
*There are so many support structures at UMBC, in particular, the transfer student network (TSN)
TSN Retriever Ready Event
Sam and Patrick enjoying the food & fun!!!




These are two pictures taken at the 9th and final TSN workshop, held in COMMONS 331 on Wednesdays during free hour.


These events are held at the beginning of each semester and include topics such as:
-Clubs and Orgs 101
-Involvement Fest
-Undergraduate Research
-Study Skills
-Academic Advising
***************************************

The food provided included pizza, wings, chips and salsa, water, tea and, desert. personal diet restrictions can also be provided!




_______________________________________________________________________
By Patrick McElvaney
All rights reserved
________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment