Friday, September 5, 2014

Meet Megidelawit(Meg) Yirefu!

 Hello, UMBC! My name is Megidelawit Yirefu, and I am currently serving as a  PACC Leader under the STEM Transfer Student Success Initiative grant funded by The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. I am very much excited to be part of this program that is designed to provide information and support for both prospective and current transfer students. Before I tell you a little about what I do, I will start this blog by telling you a little about myself.

I am originally from Ethiopia, but I have spent most of my life here in the U.S. I am currently a junior majoring in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology here at UMBC. I transferred to UMBC last fall after a year at Montgomery College, so I can relate to the transfer experience. After finishing my undergraduate degree, I plan to pursue a career in medicine. I am fascinated by the complexity of the human body and the many mysteries it holds!  




Great Falls, VA (photo taken from http://www.wgasellshomes.com/Great-Falls-Virginia-Real-Estate)

When I am not occupied with school work, I enjoy watching TED videos, volunteering, & long hikes to list a few.I find hiking to be somewhat therapeutic.  In fact, this summer I took a trip to Great Falls National Park in VA,  and the view of bluish-grey water rushing down the rocks is just spectacular. The place is one hour away from UMBC, and I highly recommended it to anyone who enjoys nature!

So now that you know a little about me, I will tell you what my role is as a PACC Leader. As a PACC Leader, my role is to connect transfer students to resources at UMBC and Montgomery College. The transfer process is not always smooth, so please feel free to contact me with any concerns you have or even if you want to just grab lunch and chat sometimes( I promise I am friendly!).  PACC holds events throughout the school year, so be on the look out!

For more information about PACC and ways to contact me, Visit: http://stemtransfer.org/

I will leave you with one of my favorite videos. Hope it can serve as a motivation for the school year! I would say "Good Luck", but I know you don't need it, because you got hard work on your side.


Richard St. John: Secrets of success in 8 words, 3 minutes











No comments:

Post a Comment