Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Meet Alvin!


How's it going Retrievers? My name is Alvin Blesson, and I am a newly hired Commuter Assistant (CA) at OCSS for Fall 2014! (WooHoo!)

Currently, I am a Computer Engineering major in my third year at UMBC. I am also from little, old Catonsville and grew up in this area my whole life; however, there is a lot about C-ville that I have been completely oblivious to i.e. the MTA.

Although we strive to help all students at UMBC, Off-Campus Student Services (OCSS) has mainly become the frontline of support for three major student groups: commuters, transfers, and veterans. In addition to mastering rudimentary office tasks like organizing things and transferring phone calls, I am here to help my fellow students navigate the services provided by UMBC. This includes providing students the relevant information they need about parking, off-campus housing, and the wide array of transportation options.

Now, I’m not the most directionally gifted guy on the planet, so I hope you guys bear with me as I better learn the bus schedules and routes so that I can eventually point you in the right direction. Another thing about OCSS I am really excited about is, the Good Morning Commuter Breakfast (GMC). I’m sure ALL of you have heard about this super popular event where we serve breakfast on Main Street in the Commons every Tuesday morning from 8:30 am. to 10 am. This will be a challenge for me as waking up early has not been a common practice in my time at UMBC, but I look forward to struggling with you because once you buy your Commuter Gold Card, you can enjoy the most important meal of the day for FREE!

I hope everyone has a great semester, and I urge you all to come to our space in the Commons if you have any questions or just want to hang out. As I look forward to meeting all you Retrievers, I’ll leave a picture below from my former job to show the end of my Subway shenanigans and the start of a new chapter at OCSS!


-Alvin
"Hmm, I wonder why he doesn't work there anymore..."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment