Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Meet Patrick McElvaney

Hello World,

My Name is Patrick McElvaney and I am one of the newest members to the PACC organization, a division of Off-Campus Student Services(OCSS)!  I am a Senior at UMBC studying Computer Science with a background in Biology, Philosophy, Athletics and the Arts.  I have often been told I look like Stephen from Laguna Beach.

Like most students at UMBC, I want to change the world for the better!

I have a strong desire to restore the Chesapeake Bay to a sustainable ecosystem by both conscientious behaviorism and spreading awareness of offensive habits. In particular, I am working on a project at UMBC via the council of computing majors club that will bring awareness of chemical runoff from streets, neighborhoods, and farms.

I also enjoy reading books, of which Old Man and the Sea and Cats Cradle are among my favorites, as well as skateboard, gaze at the stars, and grow vegetables in my back yard.

Music has been a peacemaker through stressful times in my life like finals week, and I don't think the sky is the limit, sorry Biggie.

One of my most valued takeaways, looking back at my first year at UMBC, would have to be the opportunities waiting at my doorstep. Aside from the classes we all sign up for and vow to earn A's in, I want to introduce you to the portion that makes up the other half of academia.  I have had the opportunity to participate in organizations like the cyber defense club, and the game developers club (gdc -- which turned out not to be for me) for free. That's right, no need to ask mom and dad for more money. Or rockets and more club, which sent me through a timewarp to a younger me when I thought I could do any and everything, as I witnessed and even launched a rocket of my own with UMBC students that shared a similar love.  Even Swimming at 7:30 in the morning with someone who has a different swimming background that resulted in me laughing at myself as I tried to butterfly kick like an otter, only to feel like I was drowning with poor technique; by the way the outdoor pool is heated. These are some of my experiences from last year that have made me feel like I am a part of the campus instead of a student who exclusively pays to listen to professors and take their tests.  Part of each and every tuition paid to the school goes toward funding these clubs and I emplore you all to follow your own direction in life.



Go for it, then reflect on what is in your best interests. Make mistakes, for one who makes no mistakes makes nothing. Realize that this is a campus where there is no in/out crowd, only opportunities at your doorstep...

While working as a PACC leader, I would like to:

*Make transfer students feel at home at UMBC:
---I am here to help transfer students build their foundation so that campus is familiar.
---I am here to encourage exploration of the campus, and literature on the web, so that students have pre-meditated direction about their day.
---I am here to "assist S.T.E.M. students integrate and graduate like a native."

Please feel free to contact me or see what PACC may have to offer you at our new and evolving website:

                                                              stemtransfer.org

Wishing everyone a safe and successful fall semester,

PatrickM

Copywrite Picture URL Reference:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi95Lb-TblOb21Gu6FbFz7xLLWjCFKf_xu3UZVvhToPyFJlbxLKD2O5-zLHS36bZFJG0nssFI3F4WiEX8ZTkUCuuX5uH5dTkvSuhOOLKRgv3Ox8Lp6NORRvIUS8WBUNXhql4SvjeIixhIGL/s1600/It+feels+good+to+be+lost+in+the+right+direction.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment